Atlantic

Atlantic - lined with oaks at the edge of Core Sound - is home to one of eastern North Carolina's most beautiful working waterfronts - Atlantic Harbor. 

Atlantic

  • Atlantic is home to one of the first public high schools in Carteret County. In 1905 the people of Atlantic incorporated to raise tax money to pay for the school. The school today has student enrollment of pre-k through eighth grade.
  • The mailboat “Aleta” ran from Atlantic to Ocracoke until a ferry took its place.
  • Atlantic’s D. Mason’s Store was the original location of the Atlantic-Ocracoke ferry landing.
  • Atlantic High School was well known for its baseball and basketball teams.
  • There is one fish house and two clam houses left in Atlantic. Luther Smith & Son Seafood Company, Drum Inlet Seafood and Joe Huber’s aquaculture operation. At one time, Clayton Fulcher Seafood and Luther Smith & Son Seafood, two of the largest fish houses in North Carolina were in Atlantic.
  • Clayton Fulcher, Sr. was a founder of the North Carolina Fisheries Association and Billy Smith served for many years as board member and chairman until his death.  Today his wife Janice Smith continues to serve as a board member.  Billy and Janice have also been major contributors to this museum.
  • Atlantic is home to the only vehicle ferry service to north Core Banks. The ferry company also operated several fishing camp cabins for many years.  These camps are presently being maintained and operated by Cape Lookout National Seashore.
  • The Pilentary Hunting Club, owned by the Mott family, was located across Core Sound from Atlantic and the caretakers were from Atlantic. Franklin Delano Roosevelt hunted at the Pilentary while he was US Secretary of Defense. The Pilentary Hunting Club washed away during the Storm of 1933.
  • There was a US Coast Guard Station located on Core Banks near Drum Inlet across from Atlantic.
  • Today Atlantic Harbor is one of the most picturesque to be found Down East with many old workboats built by well-known Atlantic boatbuilder Ambrose Fulcher.